Dienstag, 6. Oktober 2009

Confessions from a Hausfrau

I've been a Hausfrau in Japan for a week now. What a week! It took 5 days to get over the jetlag, 5 days of dealing with two pretty annoying children, 5 days of being a not at all funny mum, 5 days for me to realise in what a great city I had landed.


What Kristian came home to the first 5 days.


Here are some facts to the work/holiday-balance:

- Kristian is away in the lab every day from 9-17.30 (I had written something really funny here, but it didn't go through the censorship).


We are always happy to have him home


- Kristian was supposed to work in the lab 2,5 weeks and then head down to Kyoto with us, where he had to attend a conference for 3 days, but other than that the rest was supposed to be holiday. But the situation now is more that he works here for 3,5 weeks before we head down to Kyoto for the conference, and then we sadly only have 6 days holiday.

Selma on the local playground.

- It has rained on most days, but fortunately not all day every day. The fact that there is a lack of elevators in the metro system is a problem, when I want to get out of the neighbourhood with two kids and a stroller, but hey I have to. I'm in Tokyo, I can't just sit around in the french quarters, I'll just have to grow even bigger biceps. The japanese are extremely polite, but also very shy, I guess. Most people don't even notice us, or pretend not to notice us. Only one person (woman my age - had probably been in the same situation herself...) offered to help me carry the stroller up the stairs today. Quite a shame really.

Selma in the childrens castle - great activity for a rainy day.


- And then of course there is the fact that I'm a woman in shoppers paradise but not able to go shopping!!!


Not my favourite shop, but you get the picture.


Anyway, all that being said, I'm in Tokyo, I'm able to eat sushi every day, every week has a weekend where Kristian can carry the stroller, and it is so much more fun wandering the streets of Tokyo than those of Kastrup, so who am I to complain??!!

Yours truly,
die Hausfrau






Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen